HOW TO TELL WHEN A PEARL IS FAKE 😳
Posted on 31 January 2020
- Real pearls are Pearls which are grown in either a mussel or Oyster Shell.
- Fake Pearls are simply a plastic or glass need covered in a shiny substance.
Easy test to check for Fake Pearls
- Some Pearls can be easily seen as fakes just by looking at them. This is what you see in costume jewellery that retailers like Target & Kmart sell.
- Other Fake Pearls are more difficult to tell.
- Place the pearl up to your mouth & rub it against your teeth.
- If the surface of the Pearl feels smooth then it's a FAKE
- If the surface of the Pearl feels gritty & scratchy then it's REAL
- All of our Pearls here at Lush Designs Jewellery are the real deal. A simple test that anyone can do is to gently rub a pearl across your tooth..if it feels gritty then you have a real pearl in your hands. However, if it feels smooth then you most likely have a fake pearl which is usually made from plastic or Mother of Pearl Shell.